Friday, January 14, 2011

bamboo credenza + covered lampshades





 Thought I'd post a few pics from my place.  I got this "credenza" (which is actually an old faux-bamboo dresser from the '70s) on eBay and painted it glossy pink.  The lamps were $10 ($10!!!) each at a clearance sale at Midcentury Modern here in Chicago, and I covered the lampshades with fabric I bought online, to spice things up a little bit.  One of my favorite possessions ever is the huge jar full of hotel soap; my paternal grandfather traveled frequently for work and collected these mini bars of soap at every hotel where he stayed.  Folded inside the jar are a few sheets of notebook paper on which my grandfather recorded, in his meticulous handwriting, the names of the hotels from which he  brought each bar.  I love the anal-retentive obsessiveness of the whole thing.   The sunburst mirror was a great find -- I got it at Home Goods for super cheap (like, $50, which is nothing, compared to how much those damned mirrors go for otherwise), but it was this ugly grey color.  I spray painted it gold, and now I really love how it looks between the two lamps.  I'll post close ups of the other side of the credenza soon!

4 comments:

  1. Love this! Did you ever post details on the credenza? Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Meli! Can't remember if I did post details or not --- was so long ago. The credenza has since been painted and looks totally different in my new house now; you can see the updates in my more recent posts from the past few months! Really appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I'm in LOVE with this credenza!!!!! ...and Mr. Furley

    ReplyDelete