Monday, March 14, 2011

before and after: new office storage dresser

Oh man, this dresser went from super awesome craigslist score, to bitter disappointment, to very pleasant surprise.

Allow me to explain.

I was in need of extra storage in my office, as I had been using a combination of crap furniture + IKEA boxes to keep track of all my papers and supplies.  So, craigslist to the rescue, again!  I bought this very cool, Asian-inspired American of Martinsville dresser from a nice guy online for $160.  It had really pretty brass hardware (which was basically what hooked me) and the style of the dresser was awesome (love the legs!).  But the previous owner had applied a bizarre faux-finish paint job, which I planned to strip, and then just restore the natural wood.  Unfortunately, the project turned into a total catastrophe, and I found myself left with this, after many hours of pained scrubbing and stripping:


Total filthy disaster.
 
And here's a lovely close up of the gucky goopy crap that was all over the dresser: a mixture of paint stripper and nasty old paint:


The wood turned out to be badly damaged underneath, and covered in gouges and scratches.  Though I'm sure it could have been restored, a master wood restorer I am not, and so I decided to just go ahead and paint it.  And boy, am I glad I did!  It turned out a lot better than I hoped.  I picked a chartreuse high gloss paint, which looks really awesome against the orange curtains in my office, actually.  It looks a little butter yellow in the pictures here, but that's just because of my shite camera; it is in fact chartreuse.  I had the white lamp and lampshade in my storage unit in the basement, and I also got a piece of glass cut to protect the top. 







Love that sweet glossy finish.  Again, I know the pictures are crap because of the camera on my phone.  I'll replace them with nice ones as soon as I get my camera working again.


Look at the sweet glossy black legs with the little brass caps on the feet.  And check out that brass hardware:

  
Here's a close up of the knobs: octagon-shaped brass.  I replaced these, since it was clear that the knobs on the dresser weren't original.  The handles were, though:



I also found this cool contact paper, at, of all places, Home Depot.  The drawers were pretty grody inside, so they look much better now that they're lined:


I bought some lucite drawer organizers today at Target and am eagerly looking forward to organizing those damned drawers (nerdy, yes).

One last look, this time without the light on:


Makes me happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment