Saturday, January 7, 2012

new lamps

I thought my old lamps were looking tired (I bought them at Midcentury Modern for something crazy like $10 a year or so ago and then covered the lampshades, but they were still kind of janky), and  so the other day when I happened to find these lamps at Home Goods on clearance because one of the lampshades was damaged, I snatched them up.  They had a weird mottled finish that looked like crap, too, but the shape was so cool that I thought they might be good candidates for a little spray paint and TLC!  Here are the lamps and shades before:




And here they are, finished!  I spray painted the lamps and covered the shades with fabric I cut out of a duvet cover I found on sale at Urban Outfitters.  I think they look lots better now!  The first pictures below were taken last night; the bottom two I took this morning. 




Three way bulbs!  




I was surprised to notice a few drips in the paint job -- that never happens to me when I spray paint, but I suspect it was because I was lazy and didn't sand and/or prime the finish before I painted the lamps.  Oh, well.  I was tired last night and didn't have the energy to go back and start over again.  Hopefully no one will notice.  The lampshade with the blue and yellow flowers is also still kind of weird and jacked up because of the dent (which is much less noticeable now, but still there), so at some point in the future I'll probably order a new plain white shade and recover it with my leftover fabric.  But all in all, a satisfying project!

No comments:

Post a Comment