Friday, March 8, 2013

pretty easter egg palette

Apparently Easter is early this year.  I've never really cared much for Easter (save for when I was a child and got an Easter basket), but my mom is pretty gung-ho about it, and every year asks me what I'm doing for the holiday.  When I respond, surprised, "Oh, it's time for Easter again?" and tell her I have no plans, she says she feels bad that I'm going to spend the day alone (when, in reality, I generally have no idea when it even takes place).  But one thing Easter is good for is signaling the beginning of Spring, which I'm most definitely ready for at this point in mid-March.   

Anyway, this introduction has nothing to do with the few images I'm posting today.   I was prompted to write this post after seeing a picture of vegetable dyed Easter eggs in my Facebook feed this morning from one of my friends, and I thought they were so lovely, I couldn't help but share. This isn't the traditional pastel color palette for Easter eggs, but I find it so much more beautiful, and then when I read that the eggs were dyed using natural ingredients, I liked it even more.   I confess, even though I like the conveniences of modern life as much as the next guy, I have an affinity for homemade stuff like these eggs.  Did you ever see the PBS series "Frontier House"?  It's probably over ten years old now, but it was public television's answer to reality shows that were starting to get really popular around the year 2000 or so.  The premise was, a bunch of families went to Montana and lived there for a summer as though it were 1883 (i.e. in houses they built themselves, with 1880s "technology," clothing, etc.) and they were homesteaders; the point of the show was to see if they could, over the summer months, get enough wood chopped, food canned, meat smoked, provisions stored etc. in order to last through the winter.  And even though they seemed to work their fingers to the bone, at the end of the series, not one of the families was evaluated as being ready for the winter.  It was totally fascinating.

But I digress!  Here's the picture that prompted this post and my stream of consciousness rambling:


After I saw this one, I started looking for other images of natural Easter eggs and found a bunch:

From http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/31635/natural-easter-egg-dye.aspx

From http://marketstreetdesign.com/2012/04/05/diy-vegetable-dyed-easter-eggs/

From http://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/2012/04/putting-your-eggs-all-in-one-dye-basket.php

From http://toddlejoy.com/2012/03/

Wouldn't you like to have a room that incorporates all these colors?  So beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. These remind me of my mother. She would hard boil the eggs, cut them in half and scoop out the yoke THEN dye them with food safe dyes. She deviled the yoke and piped it back in so it was colored deviled eggs. As kids we all loved it. We haven't had them since she passed away years ago. Maybe this year I'll make some! The pictures of the natural dye eggs are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete