...and a sneakie peekie of the master bedroom. Will post pictures of this room soon, hopefully.
Monday, June 24, 2013
Saturday, June 22, 2013
Monday, June 10, 2013
So, apologies first to my few readers for taking such a long hiatus from the blog with no explanation. I had a lot of stuff going on in April/May and I really neglected the blog, but hopefully I'll be able to post more frequently now. Starting with a post on the chandelier and new rug I recently acquired for my dining area. If you're keeping count, this is now the fourth rug I've bought for the space, which in once sense is totally sad and disgusting, but on the other hand, the other three have been re-purposed in other rooms in my house, so I guess buying them wasn't a total waste.
But let's start with the chandelier. There was no chandelier in the dining area when I moved in, so I was on the search for quite a while to find one that would work. I was looking for a few things in particular in a lighting fixture: 1) one that would not block the view toward the back of the house, since the first floor is one large open space (i.e. nothing with a big drum shade); 2) something brass; 3) something that would work with the other lighting fixtures already in the house; and 4) something fairly large but not too low-hanging, because my table is quite long, but the ceilings in my place aren't very high. I searched all over the place - new and vintage, online and in stores, and didn't really come up with anything that was in my price range (under $300) and fit all the above criteria. However, I did find something at West Elm that was a close approximation, minus the brass:
It's the Eclipse chandelier, and when I bought it, it was on sale; it's $249 now, though. I thought that it echoed the glass shades from the lighting fixtures in my kitchen that I installed, but I wasn't crazy about the dark brown/bronze finish. So of course I turned to my old standby - metallic spray paint - and decided to change the finish. I was a little nervous about this project, because the fixture was new and I didn't want to screw it up, but it ended up working like a charm. I was extra careful in priming it thoroughly first (didn't sand it, since I figured it would just be hanging and I didn't have to worry about the durability of the finish). And here are a few images of how it turned out!
Two close ups:
So pleased with the result. The finish looks like it comes straight from the factory. Love it.
And just because they make me so happy, here's a close up of the pretty flowers in the centerpiece:
Finally, yes: as mentioned above, I did get a new rug. The pink rug I was using before just wasn't working: it was too loud and I didn't love the design, and there was just something juvenile about the whole look:
So I ended up buying a flat weave greek key rug on overstock that looks a lot more subdued and sophisticated, but still fun, I think:
I'm quite pleased with the dining area, finally, and don't foresee having to make any changes in the near future (famous last words).
But that doesn't mean I don't still have lots of stuff to post about! Here's a sneak peek of my back deck, which has recently been transformed into a summertime oasis. I'll post more about the evolution of that area later:
More to come sooner rather than later!