Wednesday, September 10, 2014

ottoman makeover

OK, let's see if I can keep up this trend of posting a little more regularly.  Famous last words, right?  One of my recent DIY projects is below: recovering an old ottoman purchased on eBay for the sweet tune of $25.  In looking for cool and interesting pieces for my living room, I stumbled across this bad boy:


The steer horn legs were bad ass, but the pink crap fabric just had to go.  

I was in Fishman's Fabrics (Chicago) getting some linen for slipcovers (captured here in the shockingly bad photography of my last post), and stumbled across a pile of leather remnants.  Even though leather is kind of tricky to work with, and I have zero upholstery experience (with the exception of recovering dining room chairs, which is easy as hell), I decided anything was better than that dingy cotton candy pink velour.  So I picked up a remnant for $15 and went to town!

But first, I totally dismantled the ottoman.  Wasn't my intention, but once I got started, I couldn't stop. This thing was old as hell and there were about 50,000 staples in it.  I was positive I was going to get tetanus ripping them all out.



The end product was...okay.  In the weeks between finishing this project and writing this post, I dropped my iPhone (duh) and had to get a new one, meaning several of my pictures are still floating somewhere in cyberspace.  So I don't have tons of photos to show you the finished product, but here it is, from a distance:



An improvement, yes, but still kinda meh.  It still needed a little pizzazz, so I went to my failsafe: a sheepskin.  Drop one of those on there, and, ta da!  Suddenly I'm serving up some fabulous Scandinavian realness (the Instagram filter also helps).



Not a bad look for 40 bucks!  I felt extra proud when I was at Jayson Home and Garden and saw the Francisco stool for $175. 



 A slightly different look, but still, same idea.  DIY, baby!!!

Last but not least, and because it's been a while since I posted a picture of the dude, allow me to share this gem with you.  How do I ever manage to leave the house when he's giving me 100% guilt trip with those sweet little eyes?!



1 comment: