Friday, June 19, 2015

tasty treatsie

I mentioned in a recent reply to a reader's comment that I was thinking of posting a little bit of food stuff on the blog, too, so here goes nothing!  Wanted to put up some pictures of a really tasty cake I made recently.  I've never made an upside down cake before, but have always loved them, and am really into fruit cakes this year, so I decided to try my hand at making one.  Pineapple upside down cake can be a little cloyingly sweet for me, though, so I did some googling and found that there are tons of recipes for pretty much any upside down cake fruit combination under the sun. I was tempted to make a Meyer lemon cake, but have been kinda in peach mode lately, so ultimately decided on a peach upside down cake, which I altered a little bit by adding blackberries.  The recipe I found on Use Real Butter turned out really well, so I figured I'd share it here, along with some shots of my dessert.  I wouldn't change anything about the directions, except to add a few blackberries like I did if you want to mix things up!


How pretty is all that fruit, nestled in melted sugar and butter, arranged in the pan?


Here she is, twenty minutes after coming out of the oven.  If you plan on making this cake, I suggest putting a towel/paper towel under the cooling rack, since some of the sugar will drip off a little while it's cooling.


Done!  I realized after taking a slice that I never got a picture of the finished cake - so here it is, minus one piece that I just had to sneak.  It was incredibly delicious - and really, very easy to make!  Definitely recommended if you want to impress someone - it looks beautiful and is moist and fruity and just the right amount of sweet.   This would be delicious served with homemade whipped cream, though I decided to try something a little different and served it with homemade cream cheese ice cream instead.  The tanginess of the ice cream complemented the sweetness of the cake really nicely.  I didn't get any pictures of the ice cream I made (will be more conscientious of that in the future!), but the recipe I used is here.  Fair warning: there are a few steps involved, and you do need an ice cream maker.  But the finished product is worth it.

Also.  I've really been digging on World Market lately.  It's not that I didn't already like that store, it just kind of fell off of my radar for a while.  But it's definitely back on again. For starters,  I got my new fancy hallway light fixture there, and I've been having fun walking through their food section, too.   I was super excited to find my beloved - and ultra fattening, but who the hell cares - Thai iced tea in a CAN at my local store!  So now I can have the goodness of creamy delicious condensed milk sweetened tea in the comfort of my own home.  Fat pants, I hear you calling my name.


Happy Weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I've forgotten to check your blog lately. So sorry! I love this cake. So beautiful. You are so freaking talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Gouda! Thanks as always for writing. Did you try to make the cake?

      Delete